Please find initial details below for the STAC Winter Handicap Race – if you wish to enter please do contact Stuart Gall by email or on Facebook. The route may change slightly between now and race day as a result of my recce run and any issue that it encounters
- Race Date: Sunday 31st December
- Race Start Time: First Runner 10am Last Runner 1030 (ish)
- Race Venue: Scholes Scout Hut, Rakehill Road, Scholes, LS15 4AJ
- Changing Facilites / bag Storage: To Be Confirmed (awaiting confirmation from Scouts on use of hall)
- Parking: LEFT hand side of Rakehill Road please (do not park on both sides)
- Kit: Club Vests or T Shirts please
- Required Kit: Safety Pins for your number would help, otherwise standard running kit. If wet / cold please wear appropriate clothing.
A 4.3 Mile loop starting and finishing on Rakehill Road, Scholes. Terrain will be a mixture of pavements and trails.
- Run west along Rakehill Road until junction with Station Road
- Turn Left and cross road to right hand side where safe to do so
- At St Phillips Church cut across church car park and pick up footpath to Leeds Road
- Turn left on Leeds Road and follow up to the Centerary Tree junction
- Turn Left and just before the garage cross the Road (TAKE CARE) and take the LCW (Leeds Country Way) track
- Follow this track / footpath to Barwick in Elmet
- At crossroads in Barwick turn Left onto Elwood Lane (do not go as far as the main street)
- At Church by Gascoigne pub turn Left onto the Boyle (careful with traffic)
- At bottom of the Boyle follow the road round to the left onto Rakehill Road
- Follow Rakehill Road back to the start finish point in Scholes
Start Procedure: Please arrive in good time for your start (ideally before 945am) and go to pick up your race number and make a note of your start time. You will be started at exactly the start time listed on the sheet. If you are late or miss your start time you can still run but your finish time will be based on your planned start time not your actual start time. Make your way to the start on Rakehill Road by the STAC flag.
Finish Procedure: The helpers on the finish will be logging your finish time (real time from race watches) against your race number and finish position. Please help us out be ensuring your race number is on the front of your running vest and you don’t hide it under additional layers of clothing. If you do lose your number on route we will take your name at the finish and match the time accordingly.
Prizes: The race is just for fun but a trophy will be available for the Handicap winner
Handicap Times: These have largely been based on the runners quickest 5K times in 2017 and Power of Ten stats. Apologies I haven’t been able to make any allowances for “injured during 2017” runners. The aim of the handicap is that all runners finish at the same time – thus the “slowest” runner will start first and the quicker runners will then chase them down.
Safety Info: Please be aware that you will be running on and crossing public roads during this event. Please do be careful when crossing roads, run on the pavement where possible and where there is no pavement please run facing oncoming traffic (on the Boyle and Rakehill Road). We have two Road crossing in Scholes so please do take the extra few seconds to check for traffic.
As handicap organiser my mobile phone number will be available at the start, for those that do run with mobiles please do take a note of it in case of emergencies. If you do see a stricken or injured runner please do stop to help.
Results: Results will be posted to the STAC website as soon as possible after the race.
Runners – A list of runners and helpers and handicaps will be added to this post nearer the time