The STAC Winter handicap takes place on Sunday 29th December, and it is also the final race in the 2019 club championships!
Caught up in the Christmas festivities and the thought of running through Scholes on a Winter morning not appealing? Then we are also looking for people to help out on the day by marshalling and timekeeping!
If you’d like to run or volunteer, please complete the form below.
If you are unsure what a link to performance is – please copy and paste your Power of 10 linked profile (if you are unsure please contact Tillie).
- Race Date: Sunday 29th December
- Race Start Time: First Runner 10am Last Runner 1030 (ish)
- Race Venue: Scholes Scout Hut, Rakehill Road, Scholes, LS15 4AJ
- Changing Facilites / Bag Storage AND Toilets: Scholes Scout Hut
- Parking: LEFT hand side of Rakehill Road please (do not park on both sides)
- Kit: Dress appropriately for the weather conditions (but club tops would be great)
- Required Kit: Safety Pins for your number would help, otherwise standard running kit. If wet / cold please wear appropriate clothing.
- Refreshments: Water available at finish
- Open to all STAC 1st and 2nd Claim runners
Route – A 4.5 mile / 7.3km circuit heading out to Barwick in Elmet and back again
Click here if map not visible
- Run west along Rakehill Road until junction with Station Road
- Turn Left and cross road to right hand side where safe to do so (choose when to cross – the best line is to stay on the left until near the church)
- At St Phillips Church take path to the RIGHT of the building and pick up footpath to Leeds Road
- Turn left on Leeds Road and follow up to the Centerary Tree junction
- Turn Left and just before the garage cross the Road (TAKE CARE) and take the LCW (Leeds Country Way) track
- Follow this track / footpath to Barwick in Elmet (at the first hedge gap stay on the right of the hedge at the second switch to the left hand side)
- At crossroads in Barwick turn Left onto Elwood Lane (do not go as far as the main street)
- At Church by Gascoigne pub turn Left onto the Boyle (careful with traffic)
- At bottom of the Boyle (at marshall) head down the hill, cross the stream (footbridge or direct)
- At log that blocks the path turn round and head back over the stream to the Marshall
- Turn right onto Rakehill Road
- Follow Rakehill Road back to the start finish point in Scholes (enjoying the gradual uphill finish as you go)
Start Procedure: Please arrive in good time for your start (ideally before 945am) and go to pick up your race number and make a note of your start time. You will be started at exactly the start time listed on the sheet. If you are late or miss your start time you can still run but your finish time will be based on your planned start time not your actual start time. Make your way to the start on Rakehill Road by the STAC flag.
Finish Procedure: The helpers on the finish will be logging your finish time (real time from race watches) against your race number and finish position. Please help us out be ensuring your race number is on the front of your running vest and you don’t hide it under additional layers of clothing. If you do lose your number on route we will take your name at the finish and match the time accordingly.
Prizes: The race is just for fun but a trophy will be available for the Handicap winner, Runner Up and 3rd Place
Handicap Times: These will be calculated prior to the race. The aim of the handicap is that all runners finish at the same time – thus the “slowest” runner will start first and the quicker runners will then chase them down.
Safety Info: Please be aware that you will be running on and crossing public roads during this event. Please do be careful when crossing roads, run on the pavement where possible and where there is no pavement please run facing oncoming traffic (on the Boyle and Rakehill Road). We have two Road crossings in Scholes so please do take the extra few seconds to check for traffic.
As handicap organiser, Ian Maudsley’s mobile phone number will be available at the start, for those that do run with mobiles please do take a note of it in case of emergencies. If you do see a stricken or injured runner please do stop to help.
Results: Results will be posted to the STAC website as soon as possible after the race.
- 1995: J Burton
- 1996: Peter Boyle
- 1997: Chris Gill
- 1998: D Sutcliffe
- 1999: A Archer
- 2000: Alan Schofield
- 2001: Chris Gill
- 2002: G Robinson
- 2003: O Drury
- 2004: Peter Boyle
- 2005: A Hunter
- 2006: Pauline Hardman
- 2007: C Gray
- 2008: Craig Keedy
- 2009: Paul McGreevy
- 2010: Peter Boyle
- 2011: Paul Ebrey
- 2012: L Wood
- 2013: Mike Sellars
- 2014: R Hughes
- 2015: Joanna Robinson
- 2016: Dave Morley
- 2017: Loiuse Olbison
- 2018 : Alan Schofield
- 2019: Anna Sharrott